October 12, 2011

I love justice.

I just got off the phone with the East Hampton Town Justice court and my ticket for not "following a sign" (surfing prohibited) was dismissed!

I thought to share what I sent to them in my defense.


September 9, 2011

East Hampton Town Court
159 Pantigo Road
East Hampton, NY 11937-2643

To Whom It May Concern,
I am writing this letter in order to submit proof of dismissal for the enclosed Traffic Ticket AAK7146160 for disobeying a sign. 

On September 4, 2011, I was accused and ticketed of surfing in a surfing prohibited area of the Montauk Point State Park beach. This officer ticked me based on an assumption with no actual proof of an act and disobeying a sign. Please note the following facts and refer to the map enclosed:

• The officer approached me in his truck. He stopped me in front of the State Park Cafe (MAP exhibit A) and asked for my ID
• He asked if I knew that surfing was prohibited in that area (MAP exhibit B) to which I answered "No, I was unaware" and in response he vaguely indicated where the signs were posted.
• The officer did not stop me on the beach or even visually where you can see the beach, instead stopped me next to the Cafe close to the road (MAP exhibit A) . Therefore he did not witness an act of surfing thus disobeying the sign.
• I was not even carrying a surfboard

Thank you for you time and consideration of this dismissal.

Sincerely, 

Naomi Azuma

encls.


No comments:

Post a Comment