March 12, 2012

My string of Pearl...



Call me eccentric or a sucker... but I can't help but love Pearl, my 1971 Volvo 142S. There is no doubt that it is not easy owning a vintage car. It takes a lot of patience, passion and yes... extra money to spend. I will attest that I have found all my effort worth it. We have been through so much together that I feel like she has become a part of who I am.
I was recently touched by an article in Rolling Magazine which is put out by the Volvo Club of America. (Of which I am a member, so YES, I am a full fledged Volvo dork.) I enjoy how the first page of the article was cleverly written from the car's perspective. I could really relate to the article and thought I would share it with you to shed some insight into how people feel about their Volvos. And, it also inspired me to share some little tid bits about my girl Pearl.
I am including close-ups of the article your reading pleasure.
Written from the owners perspective.


One of our first road trips together to Asbury Park, New Jersey in the Summer of 2006.
If you look carefully you will see that her rear wheel wells don't look so hot.
These were replaced after.

Pearl at Ditch Plains on a trip to Montauk in June 2008 for my birthday.


The hood of the car was really rotting out and the seals in the trunk were really spent, so last summer I bought a replacement hood and trunk from Rainbow Auto Parts in Bellingham Washington.


I love her over sized steering wheel.


Little Eva enjoys Pearl

Packed with all my boards leaving Montauk House last year.
The photos of the blue 144 Station wagon just adds caché to the 140 series...
This a station wagon model co-stars in the Fox TV show "New Girl".
They casted this blue beauty as Zooey Deschanel's characters car.
I tell people she is a race car and the don't believe me!  But just to prove it, I am closing with this shot:
The exact color and model appear on the back cover of Rolling Magazine.  Vroom.. eat her dust.

1 comment:

  1. I sent and email the author of the Rolling Magazine Article this morning.
    Here is our correspondence:

    Hi Neil,
    I am a member of the vcoa and read your article in Rolling Magazine. I was so touched by it, that I reposted it on my blog. I thought you may enjoy seeing the entry. http://naomi-loveloveloves.blogspot.com/
    Thanks for your great story.
    Naomi Azuma


    Hi Naomi,

    Thanks for your nice message and for making my article available to your readers! I enjoyed looking at your site.

    Speaking of Volvo dorks, that's my family, too. Volvos were my big hobby for many years, and at one time I had about a dozen of them (mostly 122's and 544's). I liked to "rescue" them and get them back on the road. Our daughter had a 242, our son had an 1800E, and we still have an 850 Turbo wagon.

    Now, instead of pulling wrenches I'm writing short stories. Another one of them is about a car - not a Volvo or any other regular car, but a futuristic, fictional one named "Arti." You can read it in the story collection here: http://www.amazon.com/Warren-Adler-Contest-Winners-ebook/dp/B006H7O0ZG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1331572589&sr=8-2

    Best regards,
    Neil

    ReplyDelete